Safety Tips - Animal Aromatherapy
1. Always dilute. Don’t assume the same dosage as for humans. Animals have a better sense of smell than humans. For example humans have approximately 40-45 million scent receptors, dogs average 200 million! Also take into account the size of the animal—generally smaller animals need less essential oils.
2. Cats are highly sensitive to essential oils as their liver has a very limited ability to metabolise them. Use in a very diluted form under professional guidance, or use hydrosols. Always use in an area where the cat can move away from the smell. Don’t use essential oils directly on their skin without professional advise.
3. As with most human applications don’t use essential oils repeatedly for more than 10 days.
4. As with human applications always consult a professional if you are in any doubt of the severity of the condition.
5. As with human applications always use high quality therapeutic grade essential oils –anything else could do more harm than good.